Thanks for viewing my Blog! It means a lot to me.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Oh Boy!

I went to Novi the day before yesterday for a meeting with a Financial Advisor and to take a placement exam. I found out I probably will not be eligible for any financial aid, but I can apply for a federal loan. THEN I took the placement exam. I feel I did well on the English portion of the exam, thanks to Mr. Ficco, my 9th, 10th, and 11th grade English teacher. I loved Mr. Ficco and was so fortunate to have him as a teacher all three years. BUT, I never had any kind of real math in high school. General Math in 9th grade,  Business Math in 10th grade, and Bookkeeping I and II my junior and senior year. So, the first portion of the test covered Algebra. YIKES! I guessed. I know if I would have known the concepts of Algebra, I would have done fine. Then the 2nd portion was COLLEGE MATH! Forget it! I remember the boys and Dan talking about the stuff I saw on the test but...I just marked the 4th choice on each problem. I was humiliated. When Josh, the Assistant Director of Admissions came into the room, I just shrugged my shoulders and told him I never had exposure to those Math concepts before. So, hopefully, I'll still be admitted. So, note to self, I'm going to be running into that type of situation a lot and I have to remain positive, seek out tutors or study groups, and KNOW I can do it if I learn the concepts and study. A good friend who I trust and respect so much called me yesterday. I was relating the story to her. She also went back to school later in life and told me a story about her 1st math class in college. It gave me a whole different perspective and that story was just what I needed. This is going to be a challenge - no doubt about it. But, I'm determined to succeed. I know when I put my mind to something, I'm usually successful. Imagine if I do succeed at this and acquire a Bachelor's degree? Please God - walk with me during this journey and pick me up when I fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment