Thanks for viewing my Blog! It means a lot to me.

Friday, November 4, 2011

University of Michigan

 Right this minute, I'm sitting in a Starbuck's, in the middle of University of Michigan's campus, wanting a Starbuck's so bad, but I don't know if my laptop will be here waiting for me when I get back. LOL! You never know! What brings me here is - right up the street - there's a vacuum store that sharpens knives. I'm waiting to go back and pick them up and needed somewhere to hang out. I heard they are really good and they do it by hand, so I decided to drive the 26 minutes, bring all of my school knives, and my knives from home as well. I just can't get the hang of sharpening my own knives at school, hence, I took my mid-term with a very dull paring knife! I plan to go to open lab tomorrow, and it will be great to have sharp knives finally. I'm going to be working on a cut - the Tourne' - which if you do know what this is, you're probably cringing; and if you don't, you should be! You take a potato (or other vegetable) and you turn it into a 2+ inch football with seven very distinct sides. You should have seen my first one! Well, I'm determined to master it tomorrow. My brother, Kevin, gave me the name of a site to look at for knife cuts - Alton Brown's Good Eats - American Slicer. Turns out, you know who told him about the show---My son Jason! Funny, huh? Anyway, don't know if he demonstrates that cut or not, but I'm going to do some research on line, once I quit writing this blog and looking around at all the "cool kids!"
I started thinking...wouldn't it have been nice if I were one of those cool kids, so many years ago, instead of now? But, then, I think of all the things I would have missed out on. Yep, I'm glad I took the path in life I took. This is just a new one. I feel like I'm always two steps behind, BUT at least it's now only two steps instead of 12! It is getting a little easier every day. I registered for classes next semester and and didn't screw up this time! It's a beautiful Michigan fall day. The sun is shining and it's 48 degrees. I guess I better get back to what I was doing - research on the three papers I have due. Once I pack up and head back to pick up my knives (if I remember where I parked the car!) you can bet I'm gonna get a Starbuck's coffee to enjoy on the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment